Hopatcong Junction - Then & Now


CNJ, Wharton & Northern

Hopatcong Junction 1953

Central Railroad of New Jersey #810 stops for water at Hopatcong Junction on May 13, 1953. The P52 class Pacific is pulling an excursion train over the High Bridge Branch and will soon depart for Lake Juction, directly ahead. The switch to the left is the sharp leg of the wye. This leg of the wye marked the start of the Wharton and Northern Railroad.

Photo by Bill Ellis, exerpted from JERSEY CENTRAL STEAM by Bert Pennypacker, Morning Sun Books, Scotch Plains, NJ, 2000.

Hopatcong Junction 1996

This image, although now five years old, sums up what exists at this spot today. At center is the best point of refrence - the concrete pad on which the water tower standpipe stood. Surprisingly, the rails are still mostly intact from Lake Junction to Hopatcong Junction, abruptly ending behind the photographer.

More Then & Now pictures of Hopatcong Juction to come!
This page was written by Anthony R. Tofani
Robert E. Savino can answer any questions about Lake, Chester, or Hopatcong Junctions
DCCBob@GSMRRClub.org
Last Updated October 4, 2016
 
For information about the GSMRRClub, feel free to contact us!
Info@GSMRRClub.org

Top of Page
Back to the Local History Page
 
Visit the GSMRRClub Homepage

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional