East Stroudsburg, PA - Then & Now


NYS&W

East Stroudsburg 1940

NYS&W's #1001, a streamlined oil-hydraulic doodlebug built by ACF, stops for a picture in East Stroudsburg on June 23, 1940, on an excursion to Gravel Place. Less than one year later, service to Gravel Place on the old Wilkes-Barre & Eastern (NYS&W subsidiary) ended.

Picture by Robert F. Collins from SUSQUEHANNA by John Krause and Ed Krist, Carstens Publications, 1991.


East Stroudsburg 2001

About sixty years later, the Susquehanna's tracks in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, or west of Sparta Junction for that matter, are ancient history. The building at left is recognizable as nearly unchanged. Surprisingly, the building is still owned by an anthracite coal dealer, whose coal docks are located behind. While the railroad tipple is inactive, the dealer is quite active in anthracite today!
Photo Copyright ©2001 Anthony R. Tofani.

DL&W

East Stroudsburg Tower 1956

With the light of a winter morning starting to show itself, FM Trainmaster #854 and a set of FT's lead an eastbound freight through East Stroudsburg, PA in January of 1956. The tower operated the crossovers and other swithches here via rods and armstrong levers.

Picture by Ken Von Steuben (Mike Bednar Collection) from LACKAWANNA RAILROAD (IN COLOR) by David R. Sweetland, Morning Sun Books, Edison, NJ, 1990.

East Stroudsburg Tower 2000

Today, only one track remains here on the old DL&W. The signal bridge remains in the distance, as does the tower and the depot, behind the photographer. Many of the other nearby buildings also remain along the Route of Phoebe Snow. The original grade crossing gates also survive, but are inactive as they too were Armstrong-operated from the tower! The Station is now a restaurant.

This page was written by Anthony R. Tofani
Last Updated October 4, 2016
 
For information about the GSMRRClub, feel free to contact us!
Info@GSMRRClub.org

Top of Page
Back to the Local History Page
 
Visit the GSMRRClub Homepage

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional