Washington, NJ - Then & Now


DL&W


Washington, New Jersey started as a stop along the Warren Railroad, which ran from Hampton to the Delaware Water Gap. The Morris and Essex railroad was later constructed from Hoboken to Phillipsburg. When it reached Washington, it bridged over the Warren Railroad. The Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western acquired both railroads, removed the bridge, and reworked the interlocking. The line from Hampton up to Washington was abandoned in the late 1950s. The line from Washington north to the Gap was torn out during the Conrail era. Railroad activity was always significant through the Lackawanna years, but it saw a considerable drop when the Cutoff was finished in 1911.
Washington Station

Locomotive #994 awaits a clear signal at Washington station. She's probably pulling the Lackawanna Limited.

Photo from The Lackawanna Railroad in Northwest New Jersey by Larry Lowenthal and William T. Greenberg Jr., Tri State Railway Historical Society, 1987.

Washington Station site 2003

Approximately the same view in July 2003. The track in the foreground is the start of the Washington Secondary which goes down to Phillipsburg. The curved tracks used to go up through Oxford to the Delaware Water Gap. You can just spot three GSMRRC members at the site of the old Freight House!

Washington Station

This station structure opened on November 2, 1901. Up until that point, the Morris and Essex used to bridge over the old Warren Railroad off of the fill visible to the left. That explains the curvature of the track. The newer track swerves just past the station to regain the original M&E alignment. The old brick station was torn down in October 1982 due to years of neglect.

Photo part of George Arents Research Library, Syracuse University from The Lackawanna Railroad in Northwest New Jersey by Larry Lowenthal and William T. Greenberg Jr., Tri State Railway Historical Society, 1987.

Washington Station site 2003

The old house in the center of the photo still marks the spot in July 2003.

Washington Interlocking

This tower governed the east end of the Washington interlocking. Note the DL&W concrete fence posts, the lower-quadrant semaphores, and the rods coming from the tower.

Photo by Dick Loane from The Lackawanna Railroad in Northwest New Jersey by Larry Lowenthal and William T. Greenberg Jr., Tri State Railway Historical Society, 1987.

Washington Interlocking site 2003

The Tower is gone and the trees have grown a bit as you can see in July 2003. The concrete pad for the water column is still visible.

Trolley culvert 1907

The Easton & Washington Traction Company began service on September 14, 1906. This 1907 photo shows the new culvert and tower constructed by the DL&W. The tower was moved to Henryville, Pennsylvania in 1911 once the Cutoff was built.

Photo part of New Jersey Historical Society Collection from The Lackawanna Railroad in Northwest New Jersey by Larry Lowenthal and William T. Greenberg Jr., Tri State Railway Historical Society, 1987.

Same culvert 2003

In July 2003, this is still a busy street. The red light at Route 31 held the traffic to allow for this shot. Behind the trees, there is active rail atop this structure.

This page was written by Robert J. Savino
Webmaster@GSMRRClub.org
Last Updated February 23, 2005
 
For information about the GSMRRClub, feel free to contact us!
Info@GSMRRClub.org

Top of Page
Back to the Local History Page
 
Visit the GSMRRClub Homepage

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional