Campbell Hall, NY - Then & Now


LNE, NYO&W, ERIE, NYC

Campbell Hall Map

This map shows the trackage in the vacinity of Campbell Hall Junction at the height of its operation.

Campbell Hall Junction 1961

LNE #709, heading north (railroad east), crosses the NYO&W diamond (by this time removed) at Campbell Hall Junction in 1961. The switch will carry the train onto the Central New England, a paper railroad of the New Haven which allowed the Erie and the LNE access to Maybrook Yard.

Photo by Dave Augsburger, taken from THE LEHIGH & NEW ENGLAND RAILROAD by Douglas E Lilly, ARHS, 1988.

Campbell Hall Junction 2002

Looking south at the same location in 2002.

Campbell Hall Junction 1958

Alcos lead a freight off of the New York Central onto the Central New England en route to Maybrook Yard in 1958.

Photo by Marv Cohen, from THE LEHIGH & NEW ENGLAND RAILROAD by Douglas E Lilly, ARHS, 1988.

Campbell Hall Junction 2002

The same view as it appears in 2002.

NYO&W early 1950s

A Northbound freight pulls off of the other CNE lead to Maybrook Yard and onto the NYO&W in the early 1950's. In its final years, this junction here at Campbell Hall became crucial to the struggling NYO&W. Note the use of both lighted signal targets and lower-quadrant semaphores.


Photo by Harry Zannie, from THE FINAL YEARS: NYO&W RAILWAY by John Krause and Ed Crist, Carstens Publications, Newton, NJ, 1977.

NYC Interchange 1958

This LNE westbound freight, led by the 706, is working the New York Central interchange in 1958.

Marv Cohen photo, from THE LEHIGH & NEW ENGLAND RAILROAD by Douglas E Lilly, ARHS, 1988.

NYC Interchange 2002

The same shot in 2002, looking north up the Walkill Valley branch and towards the switch to Maybrook Yard.

Campbell Hall 1954

NYO&W FTs lead this westbound freight through Cambell Hall en route to Middletown in 1954. Notice the signal to the left in the LNE photo above.

Photo by Marv Cohen, from THE LEHIGH & NEW ENGLAND RAILROAD by Douglas E Lilly, ARHS, 1988.

Campbell Hall 2002

A similar view across the diamond in 2002. It is impossible to duplicate the exact shot today without trespassing. The right of way through here is now private property, and a house has been built on the interchange tracks at the left. Part of the right of way (a short length of the freshly ballasted track in the photo) has been regraded and is part of the person's yard. Ironically, we spotted a piece of signal control equipment that remains untouched at the edge of the current owner's lawn.

This page was written by Anthony R. Tofani
Last Updated October 4, 2016
 
For information about the GSMRRClub, feel free to contact us!
Info@GSMRRClub.org

Top of Page
Back to the Local History Page
 
Visit the GSMRRClub Homepage

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional